08 May Beyond Toothbrushing – With Dental Therapist Jo
Toothbrushing is invaluable, but even with excellent brushing technique we can only reach about 60% of our teeth surfaces. This is because a toothbrush alone cannot clean the spaces between our teeth.
This is where special techniques to clean the areas between our teeth come in very handy!
A great way to clean these areas is with interdental brushes.
There are many different brands of interdental brushes. Two of the most popular brands are called TePe and Curaprox, but there are others which work similarly.
How to Use Interdental Brushes
It is important to choose a brush which is the right size. Very often more than one brush size is needed. Here at Skipton Road we can help you to select the correct brush sizes specifically for different areas in your mouth.
- Use your interdental brush al least once a day.
- Insert a brush gently between your teeth. Do not force the brush in the space.
- Gently scrub the space and the sides of the teeth with a back and forth motion.
- Look in the mirror for easier use and change brush when the filaments wear out.
- For back teeth, curve the neck of the brush slightly with your finger to make access easier.
Please bring your brushes along to your dental appointments so your therapist hygienist can check your technique and ensure you get the best results.
Thanks for viewing! I hope you’ve found it useful and please contact me at the surgery if you need any advice. 😊